Wednesday, February 6

The excitement and the let down

On Sundays and holidays, the UNAM campus is closed off to cars. This past Monday was Constitution Day so UNAM was closed. I decided I would put on my Rio Grande/Sports Garage kit, pull out my cross bike (which has been sitting in the storage room since I arrived here in November), and give the UNAM roads a try. I was so very excited to spin the legs out.
On the way to UNAM I put my cross bike to work and road through the cobbled streets of Coyoacan.
It was a beautiful day (which means a bit windy so that the pollution is blown out of the city) and you could see the volcanoes in the distance. This is a photo of the UNAM Olympic stadium with the campus behind it and a volcano in the distance.
Although I did end up riding for 1.5 hrs, it just was not satisfying. On my way to and from UNAM I had to worry about traffic. At UNAM I had to worry about the random gates closed throughout the campus, soccer balls flying in the street, dogs chasing me, and other cyclists deciding to turn around right in front of me. I nearly t-boned one hard and it would have been a BAD crash. But thanks to my many years on the bike I was able to react quickly and missed him by inches. Needless to say the ride ended up being more frustrating than satisfying and my cross bike will probably stay in the storage room for a while. I definitely miss the 4-5 hour mountain loop rides in Colorado where I can ride with my mind in the clouds!

No comments: