Sunday, November 11

The Long Drive

Family and Friends, I made it! I left Boulder on Wednesday afternoon around 4:30pm and arrived in Mexico City at midnight Friday. The trip went very smoothly. I flew my friend Abraham to Laredo, TX so he could drive with me across the border and through Mexico. It turned out to be a great decision and I am so glad that Abraham agreed to help me out. I truly owe him so much. As we passed through the "nothing to declare" line at the border, we got a red light, which means they need to check my car. The customs guy asked me to open the back of my car. At this point, Abraham gave him all of our documents and just shot the shit with the guy. He asked about my water filter and then he asked about Endo. What kind of dog was he, did he herd sheep, etc.? Abraham then asked where we needed to go to legalize my car and the guy told us and sent us on our way. They could have asked me to unpack my entire car and they probably would have charged me an importation tax on a lot of it. But having a Mexican with me helped tremendously. We legalized my car and went through the second customs with a green light. We were on our way. In the middle of the drive a Federal police check made us pull over. Once again Abraham sweet talked the guy and 5 mins later we were on the road again. No one ever went though any of my stuff and as Abraham told the federales, they could go ahead and look through it all but everything I had was legal. They can't do a thing if I have all the correct documents. So now I am here in Mexico City with all my belongings. It is pretty weird to think I actually did the move.

Here are a few photos from my trip. There are no pictures from Mexico though, sorry : (
This was my view from the car for the majority of the trip.
In north central Texas there was a lot of cotton fields and oil rigs.
The scenery then changed to renewable energy. This wind farm went on for miles and I was smiling the entire time. Perhaps its because I grew up with a wind generator, but I find wind farms to be so cool.
Endo had only 1/3 of the backseat for the 30 hour drive. He did great though and slept in this position most of the trip. The poor guy is a little confused about what is going on. But he will adjust and I am glad to have him with me in Mexico.

No comments: