Tuesday, September 11

Rain and Welcome Lunch

It is the rainy season here in Mexico City. Usually this means thunderstorms after about 6pm that last for about 30 minutes or so. But last night, it rained for hours. This morning the streets and sidewalks had tons of puddles. It made for a fun walk to the metro. Not only was I trying to avoid walking through puddles but I also had to watch out for the cars flying through the streets and splashing me. The reflections in the puddles are really pretty though thanks to all the wonderful colors throughout the streets.
Today there was a welcome comida for all the new people to one of the three groups I will be working with. Here is a picture of everyone in Luis' group. For some reason Latinos don't really believe in smiling. I don't know most of the people yet but I am sure I will get to know them all over the course of the next two years. People to note: Michel (the guy in the red shirt in the back row. I will be working closely with him and his grad students), Wolfgang (the other guy in the back row with glasses. He is a new post doc from Germany and we share an office. The brave guy moved to Mexico City not knowing a word of Spanish), Frank (the tall guy in the front on the left is one of Michel's grad students and I'll be working with him some), Andres (the guy to the right of Frank. He is now more or less my grad student. The goal is teach him everything he needs to know about DOAS), Mildred (the woman just behind Andres to the left. Her office is next to mine and on my first day of work she took me out for coffee. She is willing to help with whatever I need.), and the rest of the group . . . well, I met them all today.

No comments: