Saturday, January 12

A New Found Respect

I have gained a new found respect for photographers, especially those in journalism. Let me explain why. When my friends Luke and Nichole came to visit Mexico City, I noticed that they were taking photos of buildings, streets, people, etc. that I no longer deemed photo worthy in my head. These where images that I see on a daily basis that had lost their WOW factor to me. It had nothing to do with Luke and Nichole's excellent eye for beautiful images. This is were the beginning of my new found respect for photographers started. I began to wonder how, everyday, a photographer can see more or less the same scenery and still have the ability to see the images that make the viewer of their photos say "WOW". How, do photographers not become immune to the images of the stories they are covering? How do they continue to keep the perspective that a photo of yet another young African boy holding a machine gun will shock their audience? I wonder these questions because for me, I have become immune to the daily images in Mexico that would make my blog readers say "WOW". When I realized this, I began to search out photos I would like to take for my blog that would be of more interest to my viewers. However, I found that the images that I would love to post would require me taking photos of people and mainly of people in a state much less fortunate than mine. I have a moral problem with taking these people's photo, especially without their permission. It feels like I am violating them if I do so. But what I am supposed to say to them when I ask them if I can take their photo? "Would you mind if I take your photo for my blog so my friends in the US can see how unfortunate you are?" I can't do it, it doesn't work for me. That is the second part of my new found respect for photographers, their ability to connect with the people they are taking photos of and to make these people feel that they are not being violated. I guess this is why I am an atmospheric chemist and not a photographer. In any case, I did try to attempt to take a photo of someone, without their permission, and below is the result. Sorry blog readers, it is not that great of a photo, but in the future I am going to work on my photography skills and hopefully post better images.
A scene like this occurs multiple times throughout my day here. I see people manually hauling things across the city in handmade wheel barrows and bicycle contraptions like the one above. Sometimes I watch in amazement at the loads these guys will push up hills. It is pretty incredible.

While on the note of photographers, if you'd like to see an amazing documentary about a photographer, rent War Photographer. Its an excellent film about James Nachtwey that discusses some of the things I mentioned above.

2 comments:

Stuart Swineford said...

I was totally going to recommend the War Photographer. Good stuff.

ben said...

great post Megan. i'm looking forward to seeing your results.

hope you are doing well,
ben