Thursday, January 17

The Long Awaited Update

Sorry for the lack of posts. The only excuse I have is every time I want to post to the blog either my camera is not near me or the cord for downloading is not near by. I know, lame. Here is an update of what has been going on in my life this past week.

I went to the market today to buy some fixing's for a dinner party I am having tomorrow night. Highlights of the shopping experience are:
1) A kilo of fresh picked strawberries for $3
2) A lot of very sweet, fresh blackberries (they were expensive, $6, but they are REALLY good)
3) 1lb of fresh made tortillas for $0.50 along with fresh salsas for $0.80
4) The yumminess of fresh food.
I took the photo of my compras after the market because many of the stands in the market say, "no photos please." I guess I am not doing too well on advancing my photography skills : (On Sunday my friend Victor took me to Bosque de Chapultepec, which is the "lungs of the city." Imagine central park, only with a lot more people around. The view below is of Polanco from Chapultepec. Polanco is a wealthier neighborhood in Mexico City where most of the banks are located. There are not very many high rises in Mexico City because as Victor, the civil engineer who builds bridges throughout the city said, the ground is like gelatin and it shakes. You can also see the park has tons of trees and several lakes.
One of the buildings in the park is El Castillo de Chapultepec. It was built in 1785 by Viceroy Bernardo de Gávlvez on top of a hillside in the park as a military college. It ended up being the last defense for the Mexicans when the US invaded Mexico City in 1847. Shortly there after, it became Maximilian's official residence. When Benito Juárez overthrew Maximilian, the castle became the presidential residence. Now it is open to the public and houses a museum. Here I am standing in front of the castle.
My beautiful Bass Harbour, Maine photo that cost me a lot in shipping and importation tax now has a home. I think it looks rather AWESOME on the brick wall.
Finally, after a week of messing around with it, my RO system still does not work. I guess the pressure into the system from the apartment's water system is not enough. I am working on figuring out what to do. Keep your fingers crossed that sooner, rather than later, I will not have to purchase plastic bottles of water anymore!

No comments: