Thursday, January 1

Happy New Year!

This was my first ever New Year outside of the US. I'll just say that Mexicans celebrate New Year's Eve in a completely different way than we do in the US. New Year's Eve here is a family event. I was fortunate to be invited to join Hector and his family to bring in the New Year because otherwise I would have been home all by myself as all bars, cafes, restaurants, etc. were closed and all my friends were with their families. After waiting for a taxi for about 15 minutes (and not because all the taxis were full, but because there simply were no taxis, nor cars for that matter on the roads) I met Hector near his parents house. As we walked to his house, Hector informed me that all his aunts and cousins were at his house on his mom side. I sat down to dinner with Hector's 4 aunts, 5 cousins, mom, dad, sister, and brother at about 10pm and ate turkey, stuffing, and Mexican lasagna whiling drinking yummy ponche (similar to hot apple cider, except its made with TONS of different fruits). It was Hector's aunt's birthday so we ate some yummy cake too. By this time, it was 11:30 and most of us where fading and ready for bed. The solution was to fast forward time and ring in the new year just a little bit early with a small taste of wine or sparkling apple cider. Tradition says you have to give everyone in the room a hug and wish them a happy and prosperous New Year. The Mexican culture is so warm and welcoming that all of Hector's family hugged me and wished me a happy New Year as if I had known them for years. Hector took me home at about midnight and the streets again were empty. New Year's Eve is definitely a family event here and I am glad I got the chance to experience it. Thanks Hector for including me in your family and Happy New Year to all my blog readers.

No comments: