Tuesday, August 12

El Geiser

This past weekend, 6 of my friends and I headed north to the state of Hidalgo.
Daniel and Ricardo as we make our way through the Mexico City traffic.
The lovely Hidalgo country side.

Are destination in Hidalgo was EL Geiser, a natural hot springs where the steam used to be used to create electricity until the pressure dropped and the best use of El Geiser was a public hot springs.
This is El Geiser. You were allowed to stand on rocks just to the left of the fence and essentially take a steam bath. Small drops of HOT water would pelt your back, not in a bad way though. Kind of like getting a little massage.These pools were hotter than the newer pools. They were nice during the night, but during the day it was WAY too hot in these pools with the sun beaming down on you.
The kids get to enjoy the new pools, which are not as hot and have all the fun stuff.
When I was told we would be camping at the hot springs, I imagined being in the middle of nowhere with tons of stars. Instead, we camped with hundreds of other Mexicans that love to play music late into the night.
Mexicans also have no problem sleeping on concrete with just a blanket underneath them. I don't think I could handle that type of discomfort. I instead placed my tent where there was dirt and I brought my thermarest.
This Mexican family thought it would be really good idea to enclose themselves in a whole bunch of plastic wrap and sleep on the concrete. Its a good thing they left a few inches open at the top!
All the huts and palm trees make it look like we were in the tropics. In reality, it was the desert with a beautiful river running through it in the background of this picture. I wish I would have camped down by the river, that would have been nicer. Overall though, a good weekend. I need to go on more adventures in Mexico.

No comments: