Monday, March 30

La Segunda Fecha del Campeonato XC DF, Chiluca

Yesterday was the second race in the DF mountain bike race series. After pre-riding the course the day before, I knew it would be a tough race. The climb was 3km long and extremely difficult followed by a 1km decent that was ridiculous and the 5.5km loop finished with a fun rolly single track section. The races here start at noon and yesterday was HOT (low 80's). Three times up that climb about killed me, especially when I became extremely dehydrated and my bottle was empty. The climb had these steep short sections and I was mentally able to ride them when I focused on TTT practices way back when on the CU Cycling team. The hardest part about the TTT is after you have done your turn pulling, you have to "get back on." So, on these sections I would just yell at myself to get back on. The results you ask.
Yes, I am continuing to do a great job of defending my jersey. But Ari, the 16 year old who got second, made me work for my win.
I also got a special number for my bike for the races because I am the defending champion. I am just glad that if you win your category they don't make you upgrade because the women in the next category race the world cup and stuff. I don't think I would stand a chance against them riding just once a week for training.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Hey there big deal!! What'd you decide about the tire? I wanted to ask how the race went...especially after I saw the results of the PanAm championships where a few Mexican women did quite well. You've got some stiff competition!
Congrats on your victory.

Stuart Swineford said...

Nice, Megs! Killin' it, as usual.

~stubert.