Friday, June 27

Megan and Caleb's Excellent Adventure (Part II) - San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato

Caleb and I left Mexico City last Sunday afternoon to head to Colorado. However, we did manage to pull an all nighter the night before we left partying away on my roof top terrace. The occasion for the party? My very good friend Abraham is moving to England for 6 months : ( I will definitely miss him while he is gone. Abraham and his wife, Pilar, have been incredible friends during my time in Mexico. The party also in many ways was a send off for me too and I was happy to spend my last night in Mexico City dancing away the night with all my friends.

In any case, Caleb, Endo, and I drove Sunday afternoon to San Miguel de Allende, which is a quaint little town about 3 hours north of Mexico City. The town is beautiful but pretty run over by gringos. Below is a picture of Endo and me in the main square. The second picture is of the main church in San Miguel de Allende late in the evening.
On Monday we drove an incredible road 45 minutes west to Guanajuato city. Guanajuato is incredible! We definitley enjoyed our stay there, minus the horrible beds in the terrible hostel we stayed in. Guanajuato is an old mining town and the city was built above the mines. The result is that the major roads of Guanajuato are in underground tunnels and the streets above are so narrow that cars can't make it through, making Guanajuato a very pedestrian friendly town. It is fun to just explore and get lost for hours in the narrow pedestrian streets above ground. At times I felt like I was cruising the streets of Vienna while in Guanajuato. The town has a pretty European feel to it. I highly recommend visiting Guanajuato! Below is a picture of Guanajuato, it doesn't do the city justice but it gives you an idea of how cool Guanajuato is.

No comments: