Thursday, July 24

Hiking Niwot with Hector

A couple days before Hector and I began the long drive back to Mexico City, we hiked Niwot Ridge. A point to point hike beginning at Brainard Lake and finishing at my parents' house.
Hector
Me

By far the best part of the hike was during the final mile when we were on the Gold Hill Rd. From the moment Hector arrived in Denver, all he wanted was to see a bear while in Colorado. I explained to Hector that I have seen 2 bears in Colorado my entire life, one of which was on my way to the 4th of July fireworks in Nederland a few weeks ago. I had to break it to him that his chances of seeing a bear were rather slim. The morning before our Niwot hike, the Daily Camera had a picture of a bear in a tree in South Boulder. Hector was complaining that the only bear he was going to see while in Colorado was in the newspaper. So, when we were walking back on the Gold Hill Rd. and Hector turned around screaming "Oso, oso, oso!!!", I hit him and told him to knock it off. But, as I turned around, sure enough there was a big black bear crossing the Gold Hill Rd. right in front of us. It was a rather exciting experience for me and especially for Hector, who now has a new nickname, Oso. Sorry, but we don't have any pictures of the bear, we were too excited to take photos :(

1 comment:

Stuart Swineford said...

Awesome that the wildlife cooperated for you guys. Glad you made it back okay. Hope to get to spend more time when you are here next.

~stubert.